Big rim - sun - hat !!

Discussion in 'Feminine Forum' started by Anita Mae, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

A big rim Sun Hat is a must when you are strolling beneath our Hot Desert Sun ! !
    Keep your face covered with "Shade" - -and a nice Oil - - or moisture lotion !
    Wrinkles happen fast if you are not protecting your skin .

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I see people using an umbrella
    Not for rain but for sun!

3. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I have worn a hat since I was in my late teens/early 20's in the 70's. I got some funny looks, but I love hats.

4. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I have seen umbrellas used also -- take the shade with you -- ! !
    But -- the only problem is that you have to hold it...:chargrined:

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

A favorite place to find hats is the San Diego Hat Company. San Diego Zoo carries them in their shops. I get one every time we go to the zoo.

6. Fiona

Fiona New Member

The funniest hat I have ever seen is one where the little umbrella sits on top of the hat. I would hate to have a good wind pick up with one of those things on my head.

7. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

I have also learned that if you want to keep your hands free while walking, the ones with a chin strap are handy. I have a Tilley Endurables hat that has a handy feature: a place in the crown to put "brag tags" from the company since people are bound to ask where you got it and you can whip one out. Hat will be replaced free if you ever wear it out. I also put in "if found, call, etc. card in it" I left it in a cab once and got it back because of the card.

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

sometimes one needs a hat with a chin strap with our winds that might appear suddenly ! Your Tilley E sounds like a nice one ! Where do you purchase them ?

9. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

http://www.tilley.com/default.aspx
    I see they have a lot more since I got mine c. 20 yrs. ago! However, the one I got at True Value is the one I'm using most now--much lighter (my old Tilley is canvas-like) and with the promised sun ray protection.

10. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I've ignored this thread, but all with a smile on my face. So here's why: I went to California for the lawn bowls professional tourney 4 or 5 years back. We spent 6 to 8 hours in the sun for a week straight and with the marine layer I often paid little or no attention to the sun. By the time we were done I had fried that darned old bald spot to a crisp. I vowed never again.

When I got back to Sun City I got on line and found a wide brimmed hat with the neck cover and adjustable to fit any head size. I could push the brim up when I bowled and ended up buying 4 or 5 colors. You know in bowls we wear white and this was a chance to infuse some color (no rules on hat colors). People kept coming up to me asking if I could get them one.

Some two years later I had sold dozens of hats to bowlers from around the US and Canada. I would order them by the dozen and sell them out almost immediately. I sold them at cost and of course people are always happy to find a bargain. The company I was buying from went out of business and so did I.

For those looking, I have seen knockoffs of what I was selling at both the indoor and outdoor swap meets. They range from $9 to $11 and work just fine.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  11. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I think any type of head cover-up is a must with our hot hot summers and that sun beating down on us while outdoors. Protecting your head, face, even a little bald spot is so important. I always use a good skin cream on my face with at least 18 Sun protection. ...AND wearing a brim also helps to shade my face...I always try to keep my hair covered as well -- as sun damage can certainly be done to hair.
    WOW -- BP -- you had a mighty nice style going -- and certain all those "bowlers" were so pleased and appreciative to have those hats, as well !
    At least you supplied those hats when you could. :rugby: