Interesting storm

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Mullet, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Mullet

Mullet Member

In case you want to escape Sun City for a few moments. I sat through this incoming storm only to get home to discover some damage to outbuildings. My weather station recorded 80 mph winds. This is on the high plains of eastern Montana. This is a brief timelapse so you should see animation when clicked. If that doesn't work, here's a link: https://goo.gl/photos/VnsLyhfPJ5TCa6DCA

20150727_183956-ANIMATION.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Ugly stuff there bro. Too funny here; every night we watch the weather and they talk like the heavens are going to cut loose and the winds are going to blow dust up our ying yang. Then the next night nothing has happened and they start all over.

Enjoy your weather fluctuations while you can because we have nothing but consistency followed by more consistency.

3. Mullet

Mullet Member

You wouldn't suggest that weatherman are prone to hyperbole,would you? :witless: Consistency should help with planning the next lawn bowling game.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

In Arizona, if you want to know if it is raining, look out the window.:smile-new:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

It took me a minute, Emily, but I finally got it "NONSOON".

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

This should probably be it's own thread, but what the heck, Mullet won't mind me stealing his.

When we first moved to Sun City from Minnesota, the thing that struck me was the sun was shinning nearly every day. Most certainly that wasn't the case back home; half the year it was grey (or is it gray?). Anyway, loved waking every day to the sun exploding in the east (or was it the west?...just kidding).

More importantly, the thing one begins to appreciate even more is the lack of rain and snow to ruin the days events. I golfed when we first got here and lordy it was awesome not to be rained out. The first couple of years I'd bowl early in the morning, golf all day with friends and then bowl again at night (summer months).

For anyone doing the myriad of outdoor activities in Sun City: golfing, lawn bowling, bocce, lazing by the pool, mini-golf, tennis, pickleball. fishing and boating etc. one of the joys is 98.7% of the time the weather cooperates with you and your plans. The other 1.3% you get to be all depressed, unless you are a really crappy golfer and then you are kind of happy.

The one downside is we tend to get spoiled; on those cold winter days (60 degrees) I may elect not to go lawn bowling, opting top wait for better weather...it's always just around the corner.

How does it get better than that?

7. Mullet

Mullet Member

My apologies, in advance, for delayed or nonexistent replies over the next few weeks. We're just getting in the swing of harvest. (I farm, in case you weren't aware.) So time for other things may be short. The above pictured storm did keep us out of the field a few days but now we're back at it. That doesn't mean I won't be thinking about the Sun City life you all describe (and live) so well.

8. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

What do you farm?

9. Mullet

Mullet Member

Thank you E!

Peg. We're dry land farmers. Emphasis on the dry. We mostly raise wheat - spring, winter and durum. We also raise yellow field peas as a rotation crop. And, this is for you Emily, we put up some hay. We have a few cows but a neighbor manages them in trade for pasture. My ancestors homesteaded here in the early 1900's. Probably more than you wanted to know...

10. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Mick, do you think you will miss farming?
    Life in Sun City is low key.
    You can be as busy or unbusy as you want.

Maybe you will enjoy not having to get up when the rooster crows!

One thing is for sure. You will usually get up to sunshine.
    Coming from Washington that was a big plus.

11. Mullet

Mullet Member

Peg. Some things I'll miss. Some things not so much. We're going to continue coming back in the warmer months for a while so I won't completely divorce myself from farming. I like to get up early. I'm not sure how much that will change after moving to Sun City. What better place to enjoy sunshine than Sun City. It only seems appropriate.

12. Mullet

Mullet Member

I've noticed the time stamp on some of your posts. 6:30 is definitely sleeping in for you! I'm just hoping that if I do sleep a little later, I won't feel guilty about it.

13. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

As you can see from my posts, they are usually about 7 a.m
    and then various times of the day.

14. Mullet

Mullet Member

You must be an early riser too. When I was young I liked to stay up late and sleep late. Now I'm the opposite. Early morning is my favorite time of day.

15. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I'm an early riser but need to reach a certain level of caffeine in my system before I can post.